Monday, February 18, 2013

The Rest of the Story

I had recently posted about a serviceman in Afghanistan not being offered but two hot meals a day. While this is somewhat true, it wasn’t the whole story.

After communicating with an American Legion 13th District Officer and then talking with the mother I realize maybe I had missed or not been told the whole story. While the men and women in Afghanistan are given only given two hot meals a day and do have reduced meal hours at the bases, this has nothing to do with the cutting of expenses by the federal government. This decision is made for the bases that are transitioning to local control. Also while they are served only two hot meals a day, they are also offered MREs for breakfast and for a midnight meal if wanted.

From my first conversation with the mother, I was under the impression that they were only offered the two meals and anything above that they had to purchase or go without. In the future I will need to investigate these claims a little better.

But it still kind of discussed me that even so, none of our representatives in congress ever replied to my correspondence or questions regarding this issue. At least I was able to find out the answer through our American Legion.

As Post Service Officer of the American Legion in Lena Illinois, it is still my job to handle these sorts of issues. If anyone has any veteran or service personnel issues, please feel free to contact me.

 
Regards,
The Navy Vet

No comments:

Post a Comment